Haitai 1) hits jackpot with new potato chip
Haitai Confectionery & Foods' new snack is enjoying an 2) unprecedented popularity, with some willing to buy it triple the price at online sites.
Its Honey Butter Chip, a potato chip with sweet buttery taste, 3) can't meet an unexpectedly strong demand, leaving many convenience stores unable to secure enough supply, company officials said.
Its 4) retail price is 1,500 won, but it's trading from 2,000 won to 5,000 won a pack on-line. 5) Despite its higher price tag, people 6) are queuing to buy one.
7) Since its August launch, the word of mouths fast carried its "superb" taste through social networks, making it Lotte Mart's best selling potato snack among over 70 potato chips in October.
The chip 8) has emerged as the rare hit item for the company since the previous best-selling item "Mychew" 9) taffy came to market a decade ago.
The chip's sales 10) surpassed 5 billion won in three months.
Consumers are sharing their episodes about how they get their hands on the popular snack. One with ID: Hodori ― love tweeted that when she was looking for it at a convenient store, the clerk 11) guided her to the adjacent stock room and handed one for fear of people 12) stockpiling the product.
Another Internet user commented that the snack companies should learn that instead of over-sizing packages they should make better tasting snacks and consumers will buy.
Its name has been the top searched word in the shopping category in the country's largest portal service Naver on Wednesday.
To meet the demand, its manufacturing plant in Wonju has changed its 13) two-shift system into three-shift, 14) running it round the clock to its full capacity.
The 15) confectionary company said that it has sampled more than 1,000 potato chips, taking two years to develop the snack.
1) hit a jackpot : 크게 성공하다 / 대박을 터뜨리다< Copyright © The Gachon Herald All rights reserved >
2) unprecedented popularity: 전례가 없는 (뜻밖의) 인기
3) can't meet an unexpectedly strong demand: 예상치 못한 엄청난 수요를 맞출 수 없다
meet the demand : 수요를 맞추다
4) retail price: 소매 가격
5) Despite its higher price tag: 더 비싼 가격에도 불구하고
6) are queuing: 줄을 서다 (기다리다)
7) Since its August launch: (허니버터칩이) 8월에 출시된 이후로
8) has emerged as the rare hit item: 드문 대인기 (히트) 상품으로 드러났다
9) taffy: (엿처럼 설탕을 녹여 만든) 물렁물렁한 사탕
10) 5 billion won in three months: 석 달 만에 50억을 넘어서다
11) guided her to the adjacent stock room: 가까이 있는 물품 (보관) 창고로 그녀를 데려가다
12) stockpiling the product: 그 상품 (허니버터 칩)을 사재기하다
13) two-shift system: 2교대 근무 시간제
14) running it round the clock: 끊임없이 계속 가동시키면서
15) confectionary company: 제과 회사
By Park Jin-hai
Published: Nov 19, 2014
Source: The Korea Times